Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lisa Gifford is My Pimp


OK OK OK - I'm what, 29 (soon to be 30 in 11 days) and I know - I KNOW - this is going to sound cheesey and very "teeny-boppy" but I would totally have relations with the character of Edward Cullen from the Twilight series. You see, last month Lisa, my fab sis-in-law, game my other sis-in-law, Leah, the books in the Twilight series. I was out of books to read, so I swiped the first one. Jake was even so kind as to check out the CD version from the library so I could listen on my way to/from work. In the beginning, it was just an interesting yet cheesy teen novel. The usual teen problems that have spanned the ages were there - coping with friends, crushes, teachers, parents..yadda yadda yadda...

Then Stephenie Meyer (the author) introduces you to the mysterious vampire, Edward Cullen, and BOOM BANG - I am 17 years old, with a crush, hoping for THAT kind of love.

I blame Lisa for introducing me to this fictional non-human who, through the authors detailed descriptions, caresses and seduces my new source of vicarious living, Bella Swan (the main character) - thanks, Lisa.

SO yeah - I am hooked now on this series which all in all is really, really good. However, I worry that this addiction to the books may speak volumes about my desires in a man - I mean, it's very Buffy-and-Angel-esque (the TV series I loved thru high school and college). Perhaps I am looking for Jake to one day become a blood-lusting undead man with a soul and compassion for humanity and the ability to melt my resolve with a look. (Not that he doesn't already - minus the undead part).

SO at nearly 30, I am still susceptable to the cheesey longings and first emotions felt by a 17 year old girl in a piece of contemporary fiction about fantastic creatures of the night mixed with the every day worries of growing up.

Unitl the day legends become reality and Jake develops a taste for mountain lion blood (and I seriously check my sanity), I shall read the books and wait for the movie to come out on November 21st.

SIGH

2 comments:

A Note From The Queen said...

LMAO so glad I can be your pimp my friend. I too find myself wishing for a man that sparkles and I'm 40 for crying out loud!

Bridget McCarthy said...

i shall now be sucked into reading this book. not only are you like the 26th person to tell me i just HAVE to read it... i saw it's a movie... so... to the store i go...